Monday, November 17, 2008

Ottawa Obituary

The other day I promoted a show for two pop-punk bands from Montreal and had local's Sack Lunch open. If you don't know who Sack Lunch is, they're a local punk rock band who have been around since I started going to shows, which is quite some time now. They play punk rock anthems reminiscent to those of Face To Face, Youth Brigade and Screeching Weasel. Jon the vocalist/guitarist has not only played in Sack Lunch but many other local heroes such as skate punk band Funbox. Before the show started, myself and my friend Tom, who I book shows with, were reminiscing the past with Jon and drummer, Mark. We we're talking about the 'good old days' and all the great bands that once embraced us. Late, great local bands such as Uninspired Empire, Seven Layers, Bitchin' Camaros and The AKA's were bands braught up in our conversation, followed by a "damn, I wish I had some of these bands recorded material"

After the show I came home with the idea of somehow putting together and creating a directory or archive of Ottawa bands. A place where people could find music by bands they use to love, and people new to the scene could learn about some of the great bands that use to embrace Canada's capital. I messaged my friend Aaron, who's got a good collection of local CD's and he loved the idea. We went on punkottawa and asked peoples opinions and everyone was really excited about the idea!

Now here's how this blog is going to work: The blog is a collaboration of everyone in the scene who wants to share their collection of local music. Anyone who wants to post on the blog can send me the bands album(s), demo(s), or whatever they you have (I guess through soulseek or mediafire?). With the contribution you'd include an album cover or a picture of the band and you'd write a review of the album and/or a little blurb about the band to give an idea what the band was like. Your name (or nickname if that's the case) will be credited at the bottom. Like I said, it will basically be a collaboration between everyone involved in the underground and indie music scene, just with myself and my friend Aaron actually updating the blog (if everyone had the password it would just get confusing!). We can't let past Ottawa bands go forgotten!

You can email myself at sideshow_jeff@hotmail.com if you're interested in making a contribution to the blog!

Thanks!
Jeff

2 comments:

Maximk7 said...

Cool Idea Jeff. Here's a link to my old band The Manglers. http://www.purevolume.com/themanglers

Ottawa Obituary said...

Awesome! Thanks Maxx, I'll post these two songs for download in a future blog posting!